Fracture Specialists

While many fractures can be treated very well by general orthopedic surgeons, some can benefit from fracture specialists. More significant injuries with multiple broken bones, compound fractures and fractures near a joint, and fractures of the pelvis are more difficult to treat, and benefit the most from specialized care. Additionally, problems with healing including nonunions, infections (osteomyelitis) and healing with poor alignment (malunion) are often treated by fracture specialists.

What does a traumatologist do?

In medicine, traumatology (from Greek trauma, meaning injury or wound) is the study of wounds and injuries caused by accidents or violence to a person, and the surgical therapy and repair of the damage. Traumatology is a branch of medicine.

Common Fractures:

  • Clavicle
  • Scapula
  • Shoulder dislocations
  • Proximal humerus
  • Humerus Shaft
  • Distal Humerus
  • Elbow Dislocations & Fractures
  • Olecrannon
  • Forearm
  • Distal radius
  • Hand/Wrist fractures
  • Acetabulum
  • Hip Fractures
  • Femoral neck
  • Distal femur
  • Periprosthetic fractures (around total hip or knee prostheses)
  • Tibial plateau
  • Tibia shaft
  • Pilon
  • Ankle
  • Foot (calcaneus/talus/metatarsals/phalanges)